Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Don't Name a Character After Your Mother and other writing

Don’t Name a Character After Your Mother ~

Full post can be found at Zara West's Blog:
ZaraWest-author spotlight

Here are a few of the questions Zara asked - find the entire post at the above link.

Can I tell everyone a little about myself.
Okay, this sounds easy enough although I can’t think of a more boring subject. Well, here goes. I’m a city girl at heart transplanted to the boonies of Missouri where I see more deer than people and there is no pizza delivery.

My town of Amber Heights is fictional but it’s placed in Missouri and loosely based it on a couple of areas I’ve lived.
The description of my character, Morgan Maguire, was inspired by an image on a tarot card. For other characters, I might have taken a poke at a friend or relative by adding one of their traits or some physical aspect. In such cases, the roasted—I mean toasted, because it’s an honor, dammit—has been told.
However, I will caution prospective authors to steer away from naming a character after a relative. I made this mistake by asking my Mom and brother-in-law if I could use their names for secondary characters. Now the bro-in law is demanding I write a book featuring his namesake character as the hero, and he wants lots of sex scenes. Needless to say, this also goes for the lab assistant named after my mom, I am not writing naked scenes featuring anyone I actually know.

Can you tell us about any other upcoming books, series, or writing plans?  
Cold Hearted Vampire finishes the original Blautsaugers in Amber Heights series but I’m not quite ready to give up Amber Heights. With the novella, Diaper Duty Vampire, now available, I’ve bridged the gap into a new series called Vampires of Amber Heights. This will deal with some of those secondary characters (not my bro-in-law) and newcomers to the town’s vamp community.
Additionally, I was asked to write the novella, Vampire Girl: Back To Hell for Kindle Worlds. I enjoyed the experience and plan to write more things outside my vampire series. Eventually, I’ll turn my hand to contemporary romance as I would like my characters to actually live normal lives like occasionally sitting down to a real meal.

Now to tell you about my new book and series
Zara West interviews R. E. Mullins
In The Blautsaugers of Amber Heights series, you first meet Cailey and Gabe in It’s A Wonderful Undead Life. Then Gabe’s younger brother, Rafe falls for Morgan Maguire, Cailey’s mysterious friend in Vampire In The Scrying Glass. Next we learn the truth behind Metta Blautsauger’s ditzy demeanor in A Vampire To Be Reckoned With.
Finally, it’s Michaela’s turn in my new book Cold Hearted Vampire. All her life, Dr. Michaela Blautsauger has fought an uphill battle. Born at a time when females were considered chattel, she bucked the system to be one of the first she-vamps to earn their medical degree. I’ve always seen Michaela as a female Sheldon Cooper. She’s brilliant, a know-it-all, and she’s lacking in social skills.
Then Detective Seth Whitehead walks into her lab and challenges her on every level. For her part, she’s suddenly found a male (human no less) that interests her as much as the slides on her microscope.

Cold-Hearted Vampire by R. E. MullinsZara West interviews R. E. Mullins

   Dr. Michaela Blautsauger, a Nosferatu vampire, is considered an expert in her field of work. However, her skills when it comes to dealing with others and showing emotion is almost non-existent. When Detective Seth Whitehead barges into her lab, she discovers the human is just as interesting as the blood formula she is working on.
   Seth’s tenacity to find who is committing crimes in Amber Heights pits him against vampire aristocracy as well as Toltec vamps who are nasty to say the least. When the she-vamp he is falling heart over fangs for leaves the country to find the blood plant she needs, he follows and discovers his cold hearted vamp truly has a heart.
   When they both fall into Toltec hands, Seth knows he will do anything he has to do to keep Michaela from suffering harm. But will he be able to keep his own life in the process?


BuyLinks  The Wild Rose Press
                  Amazon
                  B&N

Keep up with me at remullins.com

No comments:

Post a Comment