Friday, October 16, 2015

Twins double your pleasure






Many years ago - in the earliest stages of my second pregnancy - I watched a program on multiple births. The commentator waxed eloquently on the close relationship bond that multiples share, and I was entranced by the idea. I was particularly struck by his closing comment, "The best gift a parent could give a child was its twin."

And in that brief moment in time-oh, how I wanted twins. I combed both sides of the family tree, discovered there were some multiple births, and crossed my fingers. Mother Nature, however, proved she'd quite a twisted sense of humor. She didn't split the egg but the personality. I birthed a Gemini with all the quirks of two wrapped inside one body.

But I digress.

Eight months ago I became the honorary grandmother to an adorable set of identical twin girls. Born prematurely, at only a few pounds apiece, they are now thriving. As I watch them develop I'm most surprised at how different they are from each other. I guess I thought identical twins would be little clones of each other. But from the moment of birth their progress and personalities are quite unique.

So I decided to do a little research and found:

11 Facts About Twins That Make Them Even Cooler Than You Already Thought

 |  By
 
Here are only a couple of facts I learned through Ms. Jacques article. 
 
Identical twins do not have identical fingerprints. 




463960709

Their genetic makeup originates from the same source but can develop differently in each twin 

and

Mirror image identical twins have reverse asymmetric features.
82109305







No comments:

Post a Comment